Volunteer With Us
Below are some ways that you can volunteer with us if you're 27 years old and under. Scroll to the bottom of the page for the form to apply!
Role available: Support Request Volunteers
Volunteer Position (1-2 positions available)
5 hours per week
Koha to cover expenses
Tāmaki Makaurau (Auckland)
We’re calling for people passionate about Aotearoa’s rainbow communities to join RainbowYOUTH as a Support Request Volunteer. This is a unique opportunity to join our Support Team in a part-time capacity that would be perfect for students or people looking to gain experience in support work. As RainbowYOUTH’s Support Request Volunteer, you will work alongside other support staff to provide support, referrals, or information to queer, gender diverse, and intersex young people, their whānau, and the people who work with them across Aotearoa.
This volunteer primarily works online with people contacting us requring support, advice, or information, so we’re looking for a strong communicator who is capable of building relationships over a variety of mediums. Full training will be provided for the role, so we encourage people with all kinds of backgrounds and experiences to apply - a passion for our communities and growing young people in a youth development context is what we’re looking for.
One of RainbowYOUTH’s core values is to proactively and respectfully honour Te Tiriti o Waitangi. We will welcome new staff and volunteers on this journey with us, and encourage you to discuss your commitment to this value in your application.
Click here to view the full job description.
If you’d like to know more about this, or you’re not sure whether to apply, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Facilitating a support group
- Role: Group Facilitator. We provide you with full training and ongoing support to make sure you have the skills you need to run our groups.
- Time: 3 to 4 hours per fortnight for a minimum of 6 months, and one weekend of facilitator training.
- Skills: Opportunities for developing interpersonal and leadership skills, and hands on experience empowering and supporting young people.
Interning at our Auckland or Tauranga drop in centresWho are our interns? Our interns are the heart and soul of our drop-in centre! They help to ensure that the centre is a warm and friendly space for queer, gender diverse and intersex young people.
- Role: As an intern you help to look after the centre. Your role will involve welcoming people and providing them with any resources and information they may need. You’ll also have the chance to work alongside staff on projects you’re interested in.
- Time: Interning shifts are 11am – 2pm, and 2pm - 5pm Monday – Friday. Minimum commitment is 2 shifts per month, maximum limit is 4 shifts per week. The days you pick to intern are completely flexible!
- Skills: Customer service, administration, project coordination, community development, and facility management.
One-off volunteering at RainbowYOUTHRainbowYOUTH runs many different events throughout the year such as youth events, fundraisers, volunteering expos and events throughout the pride festivals. Our wonderful volunteers help to ensure that everything is up and running!
- Role: At this stage, all you need to do is register your details with us, or follow our RainbowYOUTH Volunteers page on Facebook. We’ll send you out an email when we have events coming up, and you’re welcome sign up to them if you’re free.
- Time: Events are at a variety of times. These may include weekdays, evenings and weekends, and usually vary between 2 - 6 hours per event.
- Skills: Interpersonal skills as well as event coordination.
Some other volunteering opportunities include:
- Being a Board member or Executive Advisor to the Board (nationwide)
- Providing mentoring or professional development for our staff or volunteers (nationwide)
- Any other ways you can think of? Get in touch!
At the moment most of our volunteering opportunities are for people under 27, but we’re working on this! Please get in touch if you’d like to know more and to get involved!